Follow Us:

The Accounting Company Leeds Ltd

Accountants Leeds, Yorkshire

Home Sub Contractor Tax Return (CIS)

Construction Industry Scheme - What can I claim on my CIS tax return?

If you’re self-employed and agree to do construction work for a contractor, you’re a CIS subcontractor. You should register with CIS.

Our friendly team of Accountants are on hand to answer any questions you may have.


CIS Tax Return Services & CIS Refunds

As a subcontractor, you must be both registered as self-employed and CIS registered. You will have to submit the usual self-assessment tax return in addition to supplying information relating to your CIS tax obligations.

As a subcontractor in the Construction industry, any contractor for whom you perform work is required to deduct money from your payments and pass it straight to HMRC. If you are a registered subcontractor, 20% is taken from your fee (and should be stated on your invoice). If you are unregistered, the contractor for whom you work will be required to deduct 30%.

The good news is that this often results in subcontractors being eligible for a CIS tax refund from HMRC at the end of each financial year. However, the practicalities of claiming this refund can be complicated. That’s why TAC offers a CIS Refunds service specifically designed to help subcontractors to claim back the correct money they are owed.

In order to receive gross income from a contractor, a subcontractor must pass three tests:

  • Business Test – proving the business is considered construction work (for example, site preparation, demolition or decorating).
  • Turnover Test – £30,000 for sole traders, £30,000 for each partner in a partnership, or, at least, £100,000 for the whole partnership.
  • Compliance Test – taxation and documentation must be in order, and payments have to be on time.

What can you claim on your CIS tax return?

  • Business travel expenses include the cost of public transportation, as well as the cost of your motorcycle, van, or car.
  • Equipment and tools – as well as any protective clothing.
  • Accommodation and subsistence – particularly if you are required to stay away from home.
  • Home usage, including Mobile phone bills.
  • Fees for professional services – such as insurance, an accountant’s fee, and bank charges.

How The Accounting Company Can Help With Your CIS Return and Refunds?

At TAC, we are highly experienced accountants and bookkeepers in all areas of the Construction industry and the intricacies of its unique tax rules. We work with many subcontractors on ensuring they get the full benefit of their CIS status, helping our clients achieve the refunds to which they are entitled and getting their returns submitted in a correct and timely manner.

We will assess your figures and paperwork and liaise with HMRC on your behalf. This alleviates any stress on you, particularly if you find the task of calculating your tax difficult or time-consuming.

Get in touch with one of our friendly, expert advisors for a complimentary chat about your CIS tax returns and claiming the CIS refund you are entitled to.

We are available to help you with all aspects of your CIS Account Preperation & Refunds

Call Us Now 0113 240 3227

Latest Tax News

HM Revenue and Customs is reforming late-filing and payment penalties to make them fairer and more consistent across taxes. The first stage of these reforms was set to come into effect early this year. However, on January 13, 2022, HMRC postponed the effective dates by nine months to one year. [...]

With the UK corporate tax rate set to rise 25 percent from April 2023, the UK Government has announced various tax proposals that are intended to support businesses and the UK economy, in the newly released 2022 Budget. [...]

HM Revenue and Customs has recently issued new guidance on the Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) on non-resident buyers of residential property in England and Northern Ireland. [...]

The European Union has released its Winter 2021 Economic Forecast, which says that Brexit will dent UK economic growth considerably, and more than for the European Union, despite the new free trade deal between the two parties. [...]

The UK Government is inviting input on the tax challenges associated with the rise of the sharing economy. [...]

On December 15, 2020, the UK and Mexico signed a trade continuity agreement that will apply when the Brexit transition period ends. [...]

Norway intends to provide value-added tax administrative relief measures to UK businesses in response to Brexit. [...]

The EU has referred the UK to the Court of Justice over its failure to comply with EU rules on marked fuel. [...]

Canada and the UK have formally signed a post-Brexit trade continuity agreement that will apply from January 1, 2021. [...]

Canada and the UK have announced the successful conclusion of negotiations on an interim trade agreement, which will be in place as they work toward a comprehensive post-Brexit free trade deal. [...]

Need Help?

Please Feel Free To Contact Us.

For more information on how we can help your business please use the enquiry form below to email. Or call one of our friendly team today.

Call: (0113) 240 3227

Get a Callback

What Our Clients Say

Do you have a current HR, Employment Law or Health & Safety issue?

Employment law and advice